May 15, 2021 7:44 pm
It’s not really a family vacation without your beloved dog along with you. After all, our pets are a part of the family. Fortunately, FantasyWorld, one of the leading resorts in Kissimmee FL, allows pets to stay in their fantastic vacation villas. So if you’re planning a road trip to come visit Central Florida, here’s a checklist to make sure your dog has a safe and fun adventure.
- Preparation: First, make sure your dog doesn’t get car sick. Some dogs may be fine on short rides, but may get carsick on longer rides. Try doing a practice hour-long+ trip to see how your dog reacts and if necessary, get some medicine from your vet before you go. Also try to keep the car relatively cool and if possible, make sure they can see out of the window. Also try to avoid feeding them before the trip, if possible. You should also purchase a harness seat belt to keep them safe in the car and consider a blanket for their section of the backseat. Your pet may also prefer a travel crate. You know your pet best.
- Rest Areas: Unless your trip is just a couple of hours, you need to plan your trip to allow for appropriate rest stops, typically every 2-3 hours. This is a chance to let your dog have some water, go to the bathroom, but also a chance for them to run about and get some exercise. They can get just as restless in a car as kids — and adults for that matter! Everyone needs a chance to work off some energy and get the circulation flowing. Also, if you’re going to be travelling for more than one day, make sure you have a planned stop booked that allows pets.
- Safety First: Before you go, make sure your dog’s ID is up to date. Definitely have a collar ID, but you may also want a microchip, in case they manage to lose their collar. You should have a first-aid kit for your family, but make sure you have similar items for your dog, such as styptic if a nail accidentally gets broken, and appropriately shaped bandages for cuts and scratches, along with anti-bacterial gel/cleaner. You should also look up emergency vets for your final destination. Also, before you go, make sure your pet is up to date on all vaccinations and has any medication they may be taking. If necessary, get preventative medicine or other items to protect them from pests that they might not normally encounter. Tell your vet where you’re going and see what they recommend, especially if you’re going to be spending time outdoors.
- Packing: You do need to pack for your pet, even if you’re not packing clothing (and in Florida heat, it’s best not to dress them up if they’ll be outside). What you do need to pack, most likely, is a pet bed. If they have a favorite, take it, otherwise, there are portable beds available in varying sizes. Don’t forget to include some favorite toys, although maybe not an absolute favorite if it’s a one of a kind. You don’t want to risk losing it! The villas at FantasyWorld are spacious, so you should have enough room for your pets to play and get some energy out. You might want toys that dispense treats as they play to keep them entertained while you’re out. A crate may also be necessary if your pet can’t be left alone uncrated. If they like frozen Kong treats, you’re in luck, as FantasyWorld has full kitchens in the villas.
- Food: Make sure you take their usual food with you and you might want to take a gallon of water along for the trip to be sure they’re getting clean water. Collapsible bowls are great for travel and at your final destination. There are also special water bottles for dogs that dispense water into a cup they can easily drink from when you’re out and about. Definitely take their favorite treats along to help keep their attention on you amid all of the new sights and smells.
- Cleanup: Obviously, you should always carry dog waste bags with you at all times. Look for containers that hold rolls of bags that easily clip to the leash so you don’t forget. You should also take some cleaning products with you, including paper towels, disinfecting wipes/spray cleaners, and extra plastic bags for garbage. You may also want to pick up some spray that eliminates urine odor, just in case of accidents, both in the car and your destination. With longer-haired pets, take along a brush or comb to help control any shedding and keep their coat neat.
You may want to give your pet their own special travel bag, just to keep everything they need in one place. Whether it’s a special blanket or toy or daily medicine, or wet wipes for dirty paws, your life will probably be a little easier if you’re not searching through multiple bags. And while you’re likely to take a million photos of your pet along the way, try to make sure you have some clear photos of their faces and full-body shots, just in case they should go missing. You can get them printed out and make it easier for people to recognize them.
It may seem like a lot, but the better prepared you are, the safer your pet will be and they’ll have a better time, too. Even when you do have to leave them behind for a little while, at least by staying at FantasyWorld, one of the fantastic resorts in Kissimmee FL, they’ll have a comfortable place to stay.
Tags: Kissimmee Condo
, Kissimmee timeshare rentals
, Kissimmee vacation
, Orlando vacation resort
, Orlando Vacation Villas
, Rentals Kissimmee
, resort in kissimmee fl
, timeshare rentals in disney
Categorised in: The Best Doggy Road Trip Checklist
This post was written by Fantasy World